Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Los Angeles Times, since July 2003
Has worked as a foreign and national correspondent for the past 15 years covering assignments in the Middle East, Balkans, Afghanistan and the Pacific Northwest. Joined the Times Orange County Edition as a general assignment staff writer in 1983.
Orange County Register
Assistant metro editor, 1982-83; reporter, 1980-83.
Minot (N.D.) Daily News
The North Biloxian (Miss.)
Assistant editor, 1973-74.
Minot State University — Minot, North Dakota. B.A., English Literature, 1977. Magna cum laude.
Born: August 26, 1955. Indianapolis, Indiana.
Married. Two children.
• Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delt Chi, foreign correspondence, 1993.
• Los Angeles Times Editorial Award for the best project by a team of reporters from any department, 1991. Presented for a special section on the Persian Gulf War, "Witness To War."
• Los Angeles Times Publisher's Prize, for Persian Gulf War correspondence, 1990.
• Orange County Press Club Watchdog Award, 1985.
• Orange County Press Club Awards 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984.
• North Dakota Sigma Delta Chi Award, first place for best news story, 1979.
• North Dakota Press Women Award, first place for best news story, 1979.